Blackboard and full letter/symbol – free high res texture set

August 20th, 2010

Back to School texture set
It’s fall and that of course means the back to school season, though the retail markets start their back to school stocking in July. I think that is a little ridiculous. But what I have for you here is a very large set of high resolution textures that can be used for any kind of back to school, education, or classroom type advertising or imagery. The following textures have been created on a real antique schoolhouse slate. Yes, the stone. The ‘board’ was very heavy but as authentic as it gets. Thanks to my sister-in-law Becky for letting me use it.

So what I have for you here are three high-res seamless textures of blackboard slate itself, followed by a full letter set (3 upper case and 2 lower case of each letter) and numbers (2 of each number) and symbols (one of each). So it is quite a large set of textures, all available completely free. I ask that you give me a notice if you use them. You can use them for anything, commercial or personal, 2D or 3D. Just don’t turn around and sell them.

Each letter/symbol image is 1436px square. Each blackboard background is different, so you can see those below. All of the letters/symbol images are transparent .png files, so that they can be used on nearly any surface, but more easily combined into an image like the one I made for the header of this blog post. The tileable backgrounds are .jpg files.

For the entire texture pack, download this .zip file. (86Mb). This is the only way to get the letters, numbers, and symbols.
For example of the letters, here is the full set of As:
A blackboard letter set

Here are the seamless blackboard background textures (available individually):

Blackboard 1

Full size image here. (2562px x 2552px – 3.33MB)
Seen here repeated four times:
blackboard seamless texture

Blackboard 2

Full size image here. (2400px x 2492px – 2.18MB)
Seen here repeated four times:
blackboard seamless texture

Blackboard Smooth

Full size image here. (2400px x 2492px – 2.13MB)
Seen here repeated four times:
blackboard seamless texture

Texture suggestions?

If you have any suggestions on future tileable, or otherwise, texture sets just pop in a comment below or send me a message. And see the links below for other free high res seamless textures.

_______________________________________________________________________
© This article is copyright of Chris Lane Photo and should not be found elsewhere.

29 Comments »

29 Excellent Responses

1. Claudia LaMere says:

Hi Chris! Thanks so much for sharing these and for your kindness in offering them for free! How awesome are you?

I am using the slate as part of a flyer for a fundraiser for our school!

Thanks again and have a great day!

Claudia

• Chris Lane says:

I’m glad someone was able to use them! I’d love to see the final product if you don’t mind sharing!
      And I will be giving more stuff away in the future, so you should definitely subscribe to the blog!
      Cheers and thanks for coming by

2. Tinus says:

Thanks a lot, I turned it into a green one, like I had when I was in school, the typo is excellent for my purposes, good job!

3. Thanks for this wonderful project. It was exactly what I needed for our home page this week (http://med.uth.tmc.edu/). I’m going to send you a shout-out on my personal Facebook account.

Cheers!
    Carlos

4. Christoph says:

Hey Chris,

thanks a lot for these, I actually plan on using them in an iPhone app im currently developing.
    I wonder how hard it would be to convert the letters/symbols into a true type font..

Thanks
    Chris

• Chris Lane says:

Hi Christoph, glad they worked out for you. Turning them into a workable font is actually something I’ve been seriously considering, especially considering how popular these have turned out to be. I suggest subscribing to my blog so you catch them when I release them. Cheers

5. Ryan says:

Thank you for the awesome lettering and blackboards. I have used them for http://www.boredombusters.co.za/ that I’m making for a friend. Well, for the “coming at some stage” sign. We might use them for the site once it is made, so if you don’t see them there it’s because the site got finished without them. :(

Thanks again, I need to have a look at what else you have available. A font made of the lettering would be awesome! :)

Cheers!

6. Ross says:

Cheers for these, excellent source for making dusty floor textures.

7. Michael says:

Thanks for posting the free blackboard textures. I’m using one in a motion graphics project. I’ll post a link when it is finished. Thanks again!

8. Shagnik says:

Hi, thank you very much for the blackboard textures! I’m planning on using it as the background for my departmental website, hopefully I’ll be able to do it justice!

9. This is simply awesome! Exactly what I was looking for when creating the new header for my blog. I will be sure to credit the textures I use on the site so people will know where the awesomeness came from. Everyone already knows it’s not my talent! Bravo sir!

10. Jorge says:

Great textures for website background design for sure I will use them! Love the blackboard design :D

11. Thomas says:

Thanks Chris, you saved my day!
    I’m designing a programm for schools and was experimenting with photos and Inkscape-textures and filters, to create realisticly looking buttons, icons and backgrounds. These textures were what I was looking for for weeks and could not create myself.
    As the program is open source, I will include a big thank you, when it is finshed.
    Kodos to you!

12. Thanks so much Chris.
    What a brilliant idea and ideal for a local gig I am doing here in Toronto Canada. I don’t know how to post a pic of the poster that I did on this comment page but here is a dropbox link.

I posted it on my facebook page but this is probably easier.

Thank you so much for sharing your amazing work.

very very best

Bruce

13. Kara says:

Thank you! I plan on using the chalkboard as a background for menu boards.

14. Michelle Gardner says:

Thanks so much for putting these up for free! I’m investigating using these for a pop up exhibition banner to promote our charity.

15. Bri says:

Thanks for the zip, just wanted to give you a heads up that I’m using them!

16. Cindy says:

Thanks for sharing. I may use the background for my daughter’s “Save the Date” cards.

17. Scott says:

Hey Chris, thanks for these awesome textures. I’m planning on using blackboard smooth as the background to a web-resume I’m making for myself – probably won’t be up for a while though. Keep up the good work.

18. Abegail says:

Thank you so much for the chalkboard backgrounds! Will use them to make some background images.

19. Honey says:

hi Chris, thanks very much indeed for making these backgrounds and textures available. We’ve used them on our site, which already had a blackboard theme, so it looks great. Thanks again

20. Sarah says:

I will be using the backgrounds for a craft booth logo and price list. Thank you so much for this service!

21. Chris Lane says:

Glad I can help so many people with these textures and I love hearing from all of you about the project you’ve used them on! Please, keep the comments coming.