It was a while ago that I asked for recommendations on which 3D robot to make. Well, I finally got a chance to work on it for some time. I decided to go with something relatively simple for now, but when it is done it shouldn’t look simple. The one I decided to work on I call the sweeper bot and is relatively small and moves something like an inchworm. Here is what it looked like in my original sketch:
I took my initial sketch and expanded on it in more detail. I added in the mechanism to make it work and a little bit of style. Here is my working sketch for that:
So once I had that how I wanted it, it was time to go into the 3D software. The below two images are the initial working models. I started with just one unit of the string, as once is done, it is basically just putting in as many copies as I want the thing long. This is still really the beginning stages of the modeling still, but I thought I would put up a progress post anyway. With this you should be able to see where it is headed. Next is fleshing out the model better with more detail. After that I will probably texture it and then get it rigged and animated.
Any and all comments welcome below.
© This article is copyright of Chris Lane Photo and should not be found elsewhere.